Hello friends of the USS Franklin!
For those of you who have subscribed, thank you for subscribing to the electronic subscription to the USS Franklin Museum Association Newsletter! If you have not yet subscribed, please click on the link at the top of the screen labeled Email Newsletter Signup.
This is an example of the email newsletter:
The last regular paper version of the newsletter will be mailing out next week. This will be the last paper newsletter sent to the current mailing list via US Post Office. If you know somebody that wished to continue to receive the paper newsletter via US Mail, the newsletter contains directions how to do so.
Thank you for your help in making this transition!
The pdf download for the paper newsletter is available at the link below:
USS Franklin Newsletter Fall 2015
Herve E. Dionne, 90, of Warwick passed away on Sunday, September 27, 2015 at home. He was the beloved husband of Mary A. (Davey) Dionne. Born in Providence, he was a son of the late Eugene J. and Lillian (Ouellette) Dionne.
Mr. Dionne was a Foreman for Industrial Machine Corp. for 40 years until his retirement. He also served in The United States Navy during WW II. He was a member of St. Catherine of Siena Parish in Warwick. Mr. Dionne was an avid golfer.
He was the loving father of Stephen M. Dionne and his wife Mary Pat of Cranston, David H. Dionne and his wife Kim Plumridge of Tuckahoe, NY and Kathleen A. Adamonis and her husband Vitold of Sutton, MA. Cherished grandfather of Kevin Dionne, Kristen Lukasevicz and David Adamonis and great-grandfather of seven. He was the brother of the late Theresa Teehan and Lillian Nadeau.
Relatives and friends are invited to Visitation on Friday, October 2, 2015 from 9:00-10:30 am in THE URQUHART-MURPHY FUNERAL HOME, 800 Greenwich Avenue, Route 5, Warwick (Exit 12A on I-95) followed by a Mass of Christian Burial at 11:00 am in St. Catherine of Siena Church, 3252 Post Road, Warwick. Burial in RI Veterans Memorial Cemetery, Exeter.
In lieu of flowers, gifts in his memory to the Alzheimer’s Assn. RI Chapter, 245 Waterman St., Suite 306, Providence, RI 02906 would be appreciated.
Click Here To View Condolence Messages
Urquhart – Murphy Funeral Home
800-812 Greenwich Avenue
Warwick, Rhode Island 02886
Save the Date – June 23-24-25, 2016
USS Franklin Reunion – Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
- Harrisburg, Pennsylvania: 50 miles – Harrisburg International Airport (airport code: MDT)
- Baltimore, Maryland: 60 miles – Baltimore International Airport (airport code: BWI)
- Washington, DC: 87 miles – Ronald Regan International Airport (airport code:DCA) and 80 miles – Washington Dulles International Airport (airport code: IAD)
- (Amtrak goes to Harrisburg, then there’s a bus to Gettysburg, but the train does not go to Gettysburg.)
Hotel Accomodations: – 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, right in the heart of downtown Gettysburg!
- 516 Baltimore St. Gettysburg, PA 17325 | (717) 334-6211 – rooms will be held up to 45 days prior to the reunion and then they will open up to the public and the rooms WILL fill up, so make your room reservations asap! $125 – Thursday $145 – Friday and Saturday double bed rooms PARKING AND BREAKFAST INCLUDED!
Thursday, June 23 – check in and explore downtown Gettysburg
Friday, June 24
- 3 hour bus battlefield tour with a Licensed Battlefield Guide
- Visit Gettysburg National Military Park Visitor Center Civil War Museum, Film – “A New Birth of Freedom” and the Gettysburg Cyclorama
- Box lunch provided
- Optional evening “Ghost Tour”
Saturday, June 25
- Eisenhower National Historic Site with National Park Service Ranger
- Hall of Presidents and First Ladies – self guided tour
- Gettysburg National Cemetery – self guided tour
- Evening banquet with some special guests!
Want to brush up on Gettysburg?
- Ask your local librarian for any book recommendations about Gettysburg
- Google “Battle of Gettysburg”
- Watch anything on the History Channel about The American Civil War, The Battle of Gettysburg, or Abraham Lincoln
- Watch “Gettysburg” (1993 starring Martin Sheen, Jeff Daniels and Tom Berenger), adapted from the book “Killer Angels” by Michael Shaara
- Watch Gettysburg – Final Measure of Devotion, written and directed by ROBERT CHILD, available on Amazon Instant Video and Amazon DVD (Documentary told through 150th Anniversary Reenactments)
- To find your state’s monuments at Gettysburg: com and click on “Gettysburg.” There are over 1,200 monuments to explore, as well as headquarters, farms, and virtual tours.
- http://www.nps.gov/gett/planyourvisit/visitorcenters.htm – this is the National Park Service Visitor’s Center Website
- http://www.nps.gov/eise/index.htm – this is the website for the Dwight D. Eisenhower Home and Farm which we will be visiting
- http://www.gettysburgbattlefieldtours.com/gettysburg-tours/museum-hall-of-presidents-first-ladies/ – Hall of Presidents and First Ladies
- http://www.gettysburgbattlefieldtours.com/gettysburg-tours/gettysburg-tours/licensed-guided-bus-tour/ – bus tour information
- Gettysburg Group Reservations is on Facebook. You will see some groups that are touring the same places we will be touring!